Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Carol Chan Battles LuxCDABE

Hi everyone, it’s Carol again! I won’t re-introduce myself again since I wrote the modelling blog a few days ago. I don’t have much to report since I’ve been having bad luck in the lab lately, actually from the start! I am working with Kevin (the nice individual) to construct the reporter circuit for the project; however, due to my lack of lab skills, I’m delaying the whole project and leaving Kevin with nothing to do! I’m just kidding. I spent a few weeks trying to concentrate DNA plasmids for LuxCDABE sequence in topo vector. After many failed maxi-prep and many mini-preps (with the help of my favourite lab equipment, the vacifuge), I was able to concentrate my sample. As well, before Biobrick construction, I was left with a difficult task of single site mutagenesis. For some reason (with my luck) after one trial I was able to mutate a specific site within the LuxCDABE gene. This past week, I was unable to successfully clone and transform the LuxCDABE into the Biobrick vector. The lab team are trying to think of other ‘innovative’ ways to get this large gene cloned into Biobrick vector. Hopefully, next week, I’ll be able to show some better results, as of now, only time will tell! Talk to you guys on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment